National Pan-Hellenic Council, Incorporated (NPHC) is
currently composed of nine (9) International Greek
letter Sororities and Fraternities: Alpha Kappa Alpha
Sorority, Inc. Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc., Delta
Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., Zeta Phi Beta Sorority,
Inc., Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc., Kappa Alpha Psi
Fraternity, Inc., Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. Phi
Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. and Omega Psi Phi
Fraternity, Inc. NPHC promotes interaction through
forums, meetings and other mediums for the exchange of
information and engages in cooperative programming and
initiatives through various activities and functions.
On May 10, 1930, on the campus of
Howard University, in Washington DC, the National
Pan-Hellenic Council was formed as a permanent
organization with the following charter members: Omega
Psi Phi and Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternities, and Alpha
Kappa Alpha, Delta Sigma Theta and Zeta Phi Beta
Sororities. In 1931, Alpha Phi Alpha and Phi Beta Sigma
Fraternities joined the Council. Sigma Gamma Rho
Sorority joined in 1937 and Iota Phi Theta Fraternity
completed the list of member organizations in 1997.
The stated purpose and mission of the organization in 1930 was ?Unanimity of thought and action as far as possible in the conduct of Greek letter collegiate fraternities and sororities, and to consider problems of mutual interest to its member organizations.? Early in 1937, the organization was incorporated under the laws of the State of Illinois and became known as ?The National Pan-Hellenic Council, Incorporated.?
Click here for more information about the National Pan-Hellenic Council, Inc.